About the Library
To navigate this section, use the Table of Contents box on the right and click on the section. To return to the top, use the grey arrow box on the right side of the screen.
Statement of Values
Western Counties Regional Library believes:
- that the library’s collection, resources, and services should reflect its communities. The library welcomes suggestions and ideas from the public.
- that the library may encourage life-long learning in many ways: through the introduction of children to books; the support of educational institutions and literacy programs; the provision of information services and current technology; the offering of programming for all ages; and the promotion of recreational reading as a pleasure.
- that the library should respect the cultures, beliefs, and privacy of individuals. The collection will include a variety of viewpoints, regardless of their popularity. The library supports the Canadian Library Association Statement on Intellectual Freedom.
- that the collection and service should be available in both French and English languages, and other languages as demand warrants.
- that it is the library’s responsibility to provide an archival repository for books by local authors, as well as material about the area which the library serves.
- that the library should be a centre of activity for the communities which it serves.
- that the library has a role in the economic and social development of its communities. The library should endeavor to work with both public and private agencies to provide cost-effective and efficient service throughout the region.
- that the library staff find fulfillment in their work and will provide the public with friendly, non-judgmental, and competent service.
- that there should be respect and open communication among the staff. Goals should be set and achieved through cooperative efforts of the staff and Board.
Executive Director and Regional Librarian
Training and Development Manager
Manager of Collections and Digital Services
Public Relations Manager
Manager of Programs and Services
Board Information & Members
Councillor Sherry Thorburn Irvine (Chair)
Municipality of Shelburne
Mayor Ben Cleveland (Deputy Chair)
Town of Digby
Councillor Shaun Hatfield (Past Chair)
Municipality of Barrington
Councillor Elizabeth Acker
Town of Shelburne
Admiral Digby Library & Museum
Yarmouth Public Library and Museum
Councillor Kent Balish
Town of Lockeport
Councillor Kathy Bourque
Municipality of Argyle
Councillor Carl Deveau
Municipality of Clare
Councillor Patti Durkee
Municipality of Yarmouth
Councillor Louann Link
Town of Clark’s Harbour
Councillor Wade Cleveland
Town of Yarmouth
Province of Nova Scotia
Councillor George Manzer
Municipality of Digby
Shelburne Library Building Association
Province of Nova Scotia
Board Meeting Minutes
Click on the board minutes to view.