Your library’s Adopt-a-Book campaign puts new books on library shelves throughout the region.
The titles you purchased help your library offer the latest books to 16,000 users across Yarmouth, Shelburne and Digby counties.
Libraries must raise money to buy books and materials for the communities they serve.
Over the past 13 campaigns people like you have generously purchased 16,800 new books.
The book you adopt for your branch stays at that branch library.
The next campaign will be Oct. 1, 2022.
- Campaign Slogan – Hug your library … Adopt a Book!
- Sponsor – CJLS radio station
- Book Displays – A collection of books is available at all 10 branches and at www.westerncounties.ca.
- Types of Books – Books are carefully selected by our librarians to reflect what is popular with our borrowers, both fiction and non-fiction including biographies, crafts, hobbies and how-to books. There is also a selection of children’s books.
- The cost to adopt depends upon the book, but averages around $25.00 – $30.00.
- A live report is aired on CJLS-Y95 on Tuesday afternoons throughout the campaign to update the campaign’s progress and highlight special events.
How an adoption is done
How an adoption is done …
- Books are selected from the book display.
- The adopter pays for the book.
- A special bookplate bearing the name of the adopter will be placed inside the book on request.
- The adopter’s name will be added to the library’s display of donors when requested.
- A tax receipt is issued for donations of $10 and over when requested.
- The adopter has the option of being the first person to borrow the book.
- Adoptions can be done online through CanadaHelps.org by credit card. To donate online, please click on the Donate Now through CanadaHelps.org button below. Once you enter the donation area, please choose the amount you wish to donate. If you wish to donate to a specific branch or for a specific purpose, please indicate so in the message/instructions area provided by CanadaHelps.org. Thank you!
Adoptions can be made by individuals or groups, as a gift for a special occasion, in memory of a special person, or anonymously. Please do not donate outside of the campaign dates! If you wish to donate early, please choose General Donation or Literacy Legacy Fund, thank you.
The Adopt-a-Book Challenge!
Make a donation, help your library!
Western Counties Regional Library needs your help. Public libraries in Nova Scotia are mandated to raise three per cent of their operating funds through fundraising. The cost of purchasing materials such as books and DVDs for the library continues to rise, but our funding does not keep pace. For example:
- Our budget to purchase new books has not increased in several years, but the cost of books continues to rise (over 24 % since 1999).
- Staff salaries that are not keeping pace with inflation.
- Operational costs such as fuel, supplies, equipment, etc., keep going up.
Help us maintain the library’s budget for new books and other materials by giving to Adopt-A-Book. Your donation is a gift that keeps on giving every time a book is opened.
Is the public library important to the local community?
- It provides reading and educational materials to the whole community, all ages, through 10 branch libraries, books by mail, and rural outreach.
- It provides direct support for school children and their studies.
- It provides access and assistance to government services in rural communities.
- It provides a wide range of programs for ages 0-100.
- It helps maintain literacy levels in young people through the summer reading program.
- It provides computers for public use and provides wireless connectivity in all 10 branches.
- It provides homebound and care facility service to seniors.
- It helps support local arts and culture groups and provides a venue for their work.
- It preserves local historical materials and makes them available worldwide.
- It is involved in award winning reading initiatives and services.
- It supports community projects and initiatives.
- It provides 60 full- and part-time jobs in our region (plus summer employment for many young people).
Donating dollars to Adopt-A-Book makes sense!
During the Adopt-a-Book campaign, fundraising events are listed on this web site. Please contact us at email@example.com if you want your event listed. Here are some of the events that took place during our 2018 campaign:
- Mini-Golf Challenge, Tuesday, April 3, 12-4 p.m., Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Library, 405 Main St., Yarmouth.
- Adopt-A-Book campaign kickoff, Tuesday, April 3 during open hours, all branches are serving cake.
- Adopt-A-Book Gone wih the Wind Quilt Raffle, April 3 through June 30 during open hours. Tickets ar $2 each or 3 for $5 available at all branches.
- Adopt-A-Book Gift Basket Raffle, Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5 for this basket valued at $250 supplied by Gift Loft Saulnierville PharmaChoice, Senator Ambroise H. Comeau Memorial Library, 29 Chemin Haché, Meteghan.
- Adopt-A-Book Silent Auction, May 15 to June 12 during open hours, Isaiah W. Wilson Memorial Library, 84 Warwick St., Digby.
- Adopt-A-Book BBQ, Saturday, June 16 from 11 a,.m. to 2 p.m., Barrington Municipal Library, 3588 Highway 3, Barrington Passage.
- Adopt-A-Book Dutch Auction, Thursday, June 21, 6 to 8 p.m., Weymouth Waterfront Library, 4577 Highway 1 Weymouth.
If your group or business wants to get involved with the Adopt-a-Book campaign, here are some ideas you might consider to raise money:
- Car Wash
- Penny Carnival
- Bottle Drives
- Bake Sales
- Penny Drives
- Gift Baskets
Are you involved with a group like Guides, Scouts, cadets or sports teams? Do you belong to a service organization? What about your school? Why not get your group involved. Have some fun and donate a book to your library where it will be opened again and again.
The next campaign runs from Oct. 1 to Nov. 30, 2022.