In early 2023, library users will have to download eBooks, audiobooks and magazines from Western Counties Regional Library’s digital library with the Libby app. OverDrive is shelving its OverDrive app.
OverDrive is putting all its energy into making Libby the primary way for users to enjoy the digital library, says Lydia Hunsberger, manager of collections and digital services at the library.
“As a first step, OverDrive removed the OverDrive app from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Microsoft Store on Feb. 23, 2022,” she says.
In a release, OverDrive states: “We believe that Libby is the best reading experience for all users. With valuable partner and user feedback, we’re constantly enhancing the app and adding new features to engage your readers. Discontinuing the OverDrive app will allow our development teams to focus their efforts on Libby.”
Users will be able to synchronize their OverDrive wish list over to Libby using an in-app notification.
There is an extensive help section available to OverDrive app users on the changes in the library’s eLibrary.
Some of the advantages of using Libby include:
- Easy onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class ebook reader that supports comics, magazines, and read-alongs
- Push notifications for ready holds, new magazine issues, and more
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Users will still be able to browse, borrow, and enjoy titles from the library’s OverDrive website, Hunsberger says.